Friday, April 1, 2011

The Mommy Groupie

In high school I was homecoming princess and prom queen.  I'm not sure exactly why or how that happened.  I don't think I was really very popular, and while I was friendly with everyone (jocks, nerds, rockers, preps, etc), I didn't have many real friends.  At my graduation while most kids were hugging each other and bidding one another tearful goodbyes, I was happy to begin the next chapter of my life without hesitation or looking back.  It's not that I hated school or anything.  I just didn't have a sense of belonging there or any serious attachments.  I was never a part or any "click" and never really understood them.
However .... er um ...
Now that I'm a Mom, I totally want in on the "mommy click"!  It's weird.  I have friends.  I have some great friends.  But I NEED "Mommy friends".  I need Mommy friends who live close by and have babies the same age as Quilla.  I guess I'm not the first Mom who has ever felt this way or there wouldn't be so many "Mommy and Me" organizations profiting off of this desperate need for us to associate with others who have also survived 9 months of carrying around a watermelon in her belly.  I am totally envious of the Moms sitting together at the park enjoying their lattes as their little ones eat sand together.  I need to find me a pal or two like that! .... for Quilla's sake.  *sigh*
So, I have officially become a Mommy groupie.  I'm scoping out the diaper isle at Target and attending Mommy & Me Yoga classes with the sheer intention of hooking up.  It's not so different from dating. I try to be creative thinking up casual ways to strike up a conversation about stroller preferences with another woman who looks cool and is more or less the same age as myself who has a  baby who looks more or less Quilla's age just so I can bait her long enough to pop the question:
"Hey, wanna have a play date?"  
It's a little nerve wracking.  I mean,  a girl's gotta be proactive, but I don't want to come on too strong or sound too needy ...  and once a Mommy text's you her number, how long should you wait before returning her text and scheduling the coffee/play date?  Well, I'm not exactly sure of the etiquette, but if your a Mom who is quietly debating the pro's and con's of Medela verses Lansinoh breast pads in isle 7 at Walgreens - just be nice to that other Mommy in the isle who quickly flashes you a Cheshire Cat smile the second you look in her direction cause she's probably not half a s creepy as she looks.  OK?

3 comments:

when I am weak, He is strong said...

Hahaha I love this post! So true, and thankfully I now have several "mommy friends". But you do have to put yourself out there!

Rebecca said...

i wished they had groups like that in my small town but they didn't i raised my little boy in the middle on no man's land. it was just the two of us all day along till daddy got home then it was just the three of us. still is that way

Cash said...

Aw Becca! No Man's Land is rough country! Thanks for reading! I always love seeing your comments.