Thursday, March 17, 2011

Train Wreck at Trader Joe's

In the last year, a new Trader Joe's opened just 3 blocks from my home.  Since it's so close, if I don't have an enormous grocery list I just put Quilla in the stroller and walk there.  Most of the groceries will fit in the compartment underneath her seat and the remaining bags (if any) I just strap onto the stroller handles.  It's nice to walk instead of drive!  Living in L.A., I spend entirely too much time in the car.  Quilla loves to go for walks in the stroller, so I walk instead of drive to run my daily errands more often than not these days.

Today it was a super short grocery list so I hooked her favorite toys on the Orbit and off we went! When we got there I attached small shopping basket to the handles and then put the sunshade down and sat her seat more upright so she could see better.  She is such a little socialite and people watcher!  Whenever I am shopping she just giggles and chats away in her own language to anyone who will listen.
Today's tour of Trader Joe's was pretty short and sweet.  I was headed to the cashier when I realized I had forgotten flour, so I bagged a U-turn and headed back down the isle.  Quilla giggled at me as I made a funny face at her just before I turned and bent down to get a bag of organic unbleached flour from the bottom shelf. As if in slow motion, all of the sudden her stroller started to topple over forward! I lunged sideways toward her, but not fast enough as it hovered on 2 wheels in the air just centimeters from my finger tips. I screamed ... I must have because another gentleman tried to catch the stroller from the side angle.  Neither of us were successful.  There she was, my darling 5 month old baby, hovering airplane style in her 5-point harness while staring at my toes smiling. After I picked my heart up off the concrete floor and shoved it back down my throat and into my chest cavity, I quickly (and carefully) pulled the stroller back up and tried to wipe the look of sheer horror off my face before Quilla saw and realized this "ride" was not an intentional ploy to amuse her.  She continued to laugh and squeal with delight as I brushed myself off and made flour footprints all the way to the register.  I was still shaking as I paid for the groceries, and carefully stowed them underneath of Quilla's stroller for the walk home.  Luckily, all the groceries fit in the underneath compartment because that is the last time I will EVER put anything on the handles of her stroller again.  I'm so thankful that she was not hurt.  Maybe next time we go grocery shopping I will wear her in the Ergo Baby instead.  Whew!

No comments: