Friday, November 5, 2010

Van de Kamp Envy

In 2008 I opened a boutique gourmet catering company called BINK's Catering.
My company caters for mostly celebrities, photo shoots, and small TV & movie productions.  We cater for 10 - 200 people at a time, and can handle up to three production teams per day.  I am the executive chef, and I have a small staff to help me with everything from prep to delivery and set up.  I work on a first come, first serve basis and am subject to availability.
It's wonderful to finally be my own boss, call the shots, and work when I want to.
Naturally, when I went into labor with Quilla, I was out of commission for a few days.  I almost worked 4 days after she was born, and then realized just how insane that was and turned down the job.
My husband owns a production company and occasionally we get the opportunity to work together.  "Opportunity" knocked last Wednesday in the form of a small photo shoot with In Style Magazine for Maria Sharapova that needed catering.  I agreed to do it since it was only for 10 people for a lunch, and my husband wouldn't  take "no" for an answer.  I was a nervous wreck the day before the job.  I was SO worried that my sweet little 4 week old baby would cry for the entire hour and a half that it would take me to make the 6 course gourmet lunch.  She had been fussy the last few days, and two nights before the job she had kept me up till 5am.  I knew I could manage the job and survive without sleep if I had to, but could Quilla?
Well, she didn't have to.  The night before the job she slept the longest she ever has (in a night) yet since she graced this planet with her presence: 5 hours, then 4 hours and then 2 hours! YAY!  Victoria (our housekeeper and now, babysitter) looked after Quilla while I raced through my cooking agenda like an episode of Iron Chef.  We all did GREAT!  Quilla was an angel, Victoria was wonderful with her, and I got rave reviews from the production team that they LOVED the catering and would definitely use BINK's Catering for future jobs.  I would dare to say that I handled it like a pro and made it look easy.
I would like to think that I am sort of the "Bree Van de Kamp" of the 5 stinky moms, and after a day like that, it would appear that I can pull off being a savvy working Mom quite well.  I was so proud of myself!  I CAN run a company and keep a perfect home AND master this Mommy business! Yay for me!

Why .... oh why then .... did I walk into my kitchen this morning to find 6 days worth of dirty dishes now accumulating in my sink?????
Bree would've NEVER let this happen.

No comments: