Thursday, November 17, 2011

Stuck at Stucky's

When I was a little girl, my father used to tell me, "there are no short-cuts".
I don't think my husband was ever given the same advise, and if he was, then it definitely went in one ear and out the other.
About two-thirds of the way through our recent migration to Dallas, I was driving along while talking to my Mother after having filled up with gas at the last exit. I was just telling her how the trucks were both running well, and that the trip was going very smoothly.
I guess my husband figured it was going a little too smoothly, and needed to spice things up a bit. No sooner did the words come out of my mouth, when I heard my husbands voice on the walkie talkie say, "Turn around. My iPhone was stolen at Stucky's Gas. I'm stuck."

It was 12 miles to the next exit. By the time I got back near Stucky's, I was fully panicked and worried. What did he mean by "I'm stuck"?
Then I saw him.
Couldn't miss him.
He must've freaked out when he realized he did not have his main mode of communication with me on him, and decided it would be easier to turn around on the grass median to return to Stucky's to try and find it or get it back. The grassy knoll separating the highway from the local road was a bit u- shaped. So when he got acrossed it to turn around, the nose and tail end of the truck anchored on the outer edges, trapping the wheels and causing the truck to become a big ole yellow bridge from one side of the median to the other. It was like a banana colored beached whale in the middle of a major highway. I can't believe a police officer did not see this and give him more trouble than I had planned to. I guess I should've laughed, because in hind sight, it WAS pretty funny, but I didn't. I was furious. I threw our AAA card at him and stomped off to nurse a hungry and fussy Quilla in the car.
Everyone knows that if you sit your iPhone down in a public place that it will probably get legs, right?
.... And I wouldn't have rode a bicycle across that median, let alone drive a massive moving truck across it!
Grrrrrr!
Moments later a trucker driving a huge semi stopped and helped to pull the vessel carrying all of our earthly possessions back onto the road.
Lucky.
My husband is SO lucky. He seems to always have a plethora of good Samaritans on call for the times when he just can't help himself but to take that ever-tempting short cut.
He must have some super-duper goooooood karma.
He certainly doesn't ever bore me. :-)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

good thing he was able to get unstuck and hope you got the whole phone thing worked out. must have been funny seeing him stuck there. maybe Karma's got a crush on him. :)