Sunday, February 12, 2012

Still Stinky

Now that my daughter is officially a toddler, long gone are the days of diaper explosions and laundry baskets overflowing with burp cloths drenched in regurgitated breast milk.
Thank heavens for small favors.
We have now entered into an entirely new era of stink.
Alas, these are the days when I find the container of yogurt that mysteriously disappeared 4 or 5 days ago (while a high chair was being wiped down and put away) in my new leather boots by the door.  Ah, and what IS that green furry thing in the tiny compartment of her activity table? ..... Oh, just an old stow away otherwise known as the rest of that teething cookie she was cutting that molar on last week.
Instead of breast pads that reek of stale milk, I am now adorned with unique peanut butter clips that hoist one's skirt up in a less than modest fashion created from that wonderful pb&j embrace I was granted after lunch.  Bless the elderly woman at the store who clued me in on the fact that my "bloomers were showin".  Humph!
..... And let's not even try to explain how one gets a Cherrio out of a dreadlock. Long story.

There are others in the house that smell less than "fresh" as well.  Quilla has recently singled out a sweet little French rag doll with pink bows in her hair that we refer to as "Coco."  Coco goes with us EVERYWHERE.  She even has a place at the dinner table now next to Quilla where she enjoys a meal of plastic banana and wooden broccoli.  We thought this was sooooo precious until we realized that Coco is also an avid swimmer.  Coco likes to take frequent dips in the dog's water bowl, Quilla's sippy cup, Mommy's water glass if left on the coffee table, the bath tub, the puddle on the shower floor, the dirty water that collects on the inside door of the dishwasher as I load it after dinner, the mud puddle in the driveway next to the car, the puddle in the parking lot at the store, the puddle ANYWHERE, and of course ..... Yes, the toilet.  Soooooo ..... Unbeknownst to my 16 month old sleeping beauty, Coco also takes a  swim in the washing machine while Quilla takes her afternoon nap.
I think I may need to find a Coco clone or two.
At the end of some days I am too tired to wait until Quilla goes to sleep to do my own night-time ritual.  So, sometimes I slip into a bubble bath with her, and we play with her bath toys until the water is nearly cold and our toes look like raisins.
It was all fun and games until she recently learned to say "potty" with sheer delight and accomplishment every time she "tinkles".
Of course, it HAS crossed my mind that during our family bath time she may occasionally relieve herself somewhere below the floating safari animals and tug boats. Well, what I didn't know, didn't hurt me until last night when Quilla smiled sheepishly and admitted "potty" as I was showing her how to blow bubbles in our bath water.
Rinse, lather repeat.  Rinse , lather, repeat!
Yup! There is an altogether new stench in the house.
I am sure that this phase will one day come to an end and lend itself to even more stinky opportunity.  We recently visited a friend who has a 2 year old daughter who is nearly potty trained.  While we were there, she soiled her new "big-girl-panties" which she discarded along with the rest of her outfit in a corner of the house somewhere just prior to streaking through the living room with a somewhat ummmmm ... Chocolatey bum.
I guess this is what I have to look forward to.
Lovely.
I am forced to question my own sanity as this ex-neat-freak (yours truly) would love nothing more than for Quilla to one day have a little brother or sister to play with.
Where's my hand sanitizer?

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

i remember those days they were something now i'm at that pre-teen stage of sweaty socks left on floor, guitar left where ever he last played and video game controllers strung everywhere that i'm constantly tripping over. Seems the mess is never ending. who knew we once had a place for everything now we just pray we don't trip and fall and break a hip.
xoxo