Friday, July 15, 2011

Getting My Mojo Back

shoot for a Maxim calender ... pre-pregnancy
Pregnancy  takes a toll on a women's body.
My "toll" was the addition of approximately 80 pounds of baby weight over the last two years.
A couple years ago my husband and I decided to start a family. After so many years of modeling and depriving myself of any culinary indulgences, I traded in the master cleanser diet for healthy well- balanced diet of 6 small meals a day, and a good prenatal vitamin. I slowly gained about 20lbs of healthy weight over the course of a year or so, and on our 2nd anniversary in August 2009 I got pregnant.   I continued following a strict diet of only the best organic and healthy meals I could provide for my unborn child's nutrition, and continued to gain about 1 pound a week with the pregnancy.
In October I miscarried. I was devastated.  At this point I was 30 pounds heavier than I'd ever been in my life, and very depressed.  Additionally, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis which can sometimes occur after pregnancy. While my doctor was finding the correct dosage of synthetic hormone to balance my now hypo-thyroid, I gained another 10 pounds of, well, lets just call it "comfort food" weight.  Once my thyroid was stabilized and after plenty of tests and visits to a new OBGYN to insure the best chances for a better outcome, we decided to try again on December 27, 2009 and were successful!  However, I was already 40 lbs heavier than I had ever been when Quilla was conceived.  I stuck to a very strict and healthy diet throughout my pregnancy and gained a total of 43 pounds by the time my daughter was born in late September 2010.  Of course some of the weight was my baby and all the other stuff floating around with her in her bubble in my belly for 42 weeks. So, that weight came off (or out!) the day she was born, but the rest of it was mine to loose.

8 months postpartum
Since pregnancy I have slowly lost a total of 43 pounds.  The last ten of those pounds I lost in the last 2 weeks.  I have begun a healthy diet and exercise program, and I am loosing about 3 - 4 pounds a week.  I have heard that breast feeding helps you loose weight, but this was not the case for me or I would look as thin as Kate Moss during the heroin-chic phase of the 90's by now with the amount of breastmilk my sweet little girl consumes.
Now that Quilla is 9 months old and eating some solid food I finally felt confident enough that  starting a diet would not impede on her nutrition. I was so afraid that dieting would affect my milk supply, but it doesn't seem to be a problem at all!   In fact, I pumped a 6 ounce bottle of boobie milk in about 4 minutes for Quilla to enjoy on the way to Mommy & Me Yoga this morning!
Yup, the factory is still in tact.
The factory is in tact, and apparently so is my mojo!  On the 1.5 mile walk to Mommy & Me yoga this morning, I got hit on from Vine to Highland Avenue!  My walk was full of smiles, sideward glances, whistles and cat-calls.  This sort of behavior and attention used to really piss me off and annoy me a few years ago .... but today it made my day.
So, I still have another 40 pounds to loose before I am back down to what I consider an acceptable weight.  ... and yes, I realize that my idea of acceptable weight is slightly askew from years in the fashion industry, but I will strive for it anyway.  I will accomplish my quest just in time to get pregnant again and start the whole process over again. Oh well.  For now, bring on the whistles, cat-calls and inappropriate compliments.  I will revel in it while it lasts!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

that is amazing and a wonderful accoplishment you deserve to be noticed with cat calls and whistles. i also can't believe Quilla is already 9 months old the time has flown by. Good luck on reaching your goal and big hugs to the little one.

Cash said...

Thanks Becca! What a sweetheart you are! Time is flying by .... can't believe she is nine months, crawling and talking already. It's insanity! xo