Thursday, December 2, 2010

First haircut freak out



A few days ago I decided that it was time for Luke to get his first haircut. Well, decided isn’t quite the right word. My husband insisted I take him to get a haircut probably because he was starting to look homeless. So, weepingly I looked online for the perfect place for this rite of passage. I settled on First Cuts at the Promenade on the Peninsula. As I sat there sweating at the idea of Luke with scissors to his head, I wondered why I was so freaked out about this. I decided that my biggest fear was that it would make him look like a kid. Not just a toddler but a full blown KID. I wasn’t ready for this! Now it strikes me as a little bit funny that this would worry me. Other moms yes, but me? Me the mom who hated all baby clothes? Me who eschewed the color baby blue for the whole first year? Me the mom who dresses her toddler in skinny jeans and skate shoes?

Well maybe it didn’t quite fit but never the less, my heart was pounding as we walked in to the store. Would he look different? Would he still be blond or would his hair look darker? Would he still look like a little surfer dude? More importantly, is a person wearing Sketchers shape-ups going to be able to refrain from making my son look like a dork? I think I almost fainted.

So, how did it turn out? Well as my husband so frankly put it, “did you have to pay for that?”. Yes folks, a quarter of an inch of hair and ten year’s of his mother’s life are missing, but he looks exactly the same. Well, maybe a bit less homeless.


1 comment:

Rebecca said...

omg he is to adorable and not to worry i total freaked when my son got his first haircut