Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ya win some - ya loose some

I have discovered Dunstan Baby Language and it has made such an overnight enormous difference!  Honestly, I think that all hospitals should hand out a copy of this DVD right along with the visit from the lactation consultant  as it is equally as important! The DVD "decodes" your baby's crys into 5 words.  I thought I really knew my daughters different cries, but it turns out that I was off on two of them.  Apparently, I've been feeding her when she was actually "telling" me she needs a good fart!!!! Then I was feeding her on top of an already aggravated tummy with a gas bubble and wondering why she was still fussy.  Way to go, Mom!  I also thought she had gas when she was telling me she was tired, so I was wearing the poor kid out with a whole lotta burping, when all she wanted was a nap!

The five words (crys) are:
hungry = nah/neh/nay ... or any cry with the "n" sound  (Quilla says Neh-GEE!)
tired = owh/aaw  (sounds a little like "ouch" or "owl")
burp me = eh
tummy ache/need to pass gas = (air)
uncomfortable (need to be held differently, too hot/cold, need diaper change) = heh (or any cry with "H" sound)

If you are a new Mom ... you MUST watch this DVD!  It's amazing.  The DVD has many examples of other babies making each cry/word so that you know what exactly what to listen for.  It also offers great solutions for each problem your baby my have.
Since I watched it, Quill has been spitting up a lot less because I'm getting the gas bubbles out of her (on her cue) before I feed her again.  It's nice to not wear quite so much baby barf the last couple days! I  feel that my daughter is happier in general as her needs are being met almost immediately now.  She is also waking up less (once!) in the night because she doesn't need anything except to be fed and a diaper change.
Last night I was so proud as I tucked my smiling baby back into bed after her 3/4am feed.  I decided to go into the kitchen a get a glass of water before tucking myself back in bed.  I was thinking how nice it is to get to go back to sleep so quickly .... when ....
I stepped in something warm, wet & squishy.
aaaaaaahhhh!  gross!
She nursed, burped, and went back to sleep.  She didn't barf up any milk this time ...... what could this be???
Dog Barf.
A couple days ago, instead of going to the pet store I normally go to for dog food, I ran over to Rite Aid (which is closer) and just picked up some other brand of food.  I wanted to get home to watch the new Dunstan Baby Language DVD!!!  Well, it seems I've solved my daughters tummy troubles, but created a new one for my little doggie!  Poor thing!  Guess I better stop blogging and get over to the pet store when Quilla wakes up to get some better dog food!
.... and just when I thought it was safe to go barefoot! geeeeeeez!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

that sounds like a great dvd to have