Saturday, November 6, 2010

Crying over spilled milk

My husband, Raven, has a very poor sense of smell.  It's great in some ways.  Like if you needed to "rip one" while sitting next to him, he would never know it as long as it was a "silent but deadly " one ..... not that I've EVER done that of course! Let's just say I can eat all the garlic in the world and he would never hesitate to kiss me. HOWEVER,  last night I was sitting on the sofa with Quilla, and Raven sat down next to us, wrinkled up his nose and took a few sniffs.  He said "What IS that smell?!?!?  Half laughing, half crying I stuck out my bottom lip and said" well, that would probably be me. What does it smell like?"  He said, "three day old milk".  HUMPH.
Halloween: Quilla & Ariel, Beatrix & Atticus
These days, as a new Mom with a somewhat demanding newborn,  I usually set ONE task alone per day to accomplish so that I don't feel completely unaccomplished and incompetent at the end of the day. Today I had a short list: do a load of Quill's laundry, clean the kitchen, and take a shower.  My darling angel decided to grace me with some spare time while she took an hour and a half (!!!!) nap around 1pm today. I stuck the laundry in the washer and made a mad dash for the shower.  I took the baby monitor in the shower with me so I could keep an eye on her.  It wouldn't be the first time a shower was cut short and I had to run soaking wet into her room.  Today was my lucky day!  I finished my shower and she was still asleep.  I had tied my hair up on my head because washing my hair takes so long and I didn't think I had that kind of time today.  So, when I realized she was still TOTALLY out, I hopped back in the shower to finish the job.  As I was beginning to lather lovely grapefruit scented shampoo into my neglected locks, I started to try to recall the last time my hair had been washed.  I then had a vision of showering & getting ready to meet my friend Lisa and her crew for some Halloween trick-or-treating, and then remembered how Quilla threw up (repeatedly) in my hair ... 5 days ago.
Well, Raven, your sense of smell is still a bit off, my dear.
It was 5 day old milk. Not three.

No comments: