Monday, November 22, 2010

Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie!

In my family, we usually have a choice of apple OR pumpkin pie for dessert after Thanksgiving Dinner.  I always have pumpkin pie for dessert, and I save a piece of apple pie to heat up for breakfast the next morning.  Sometimes the apple pie calls to me in the night, and I am forced from my bed to stumble around in the dark for a fork at 3am on Black Friday.  I remember once, when I was a kid, being caught by my Father with my head stuck in the refridgerater as I was testing the pie for "quality assurace" in the middle of the night. Even now, as I write, I am beginning to salivate just thinking about the buttery baked apples and flakey crust melting on my tongue.
In the spirit of giving ... I would like to share my apple pie recipe.  It is a family recipe that I believe to be complete culinary perfection.

APPLE PIE

Preheat oven to 425


For the crust:
MIX the following until "pebbly"-
2  1/4  cups flour
1 cup butter flavor Crisco
2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

then ADD
1/4 cup COLD water
1/2 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
mix into a ball.  Do not over mix, cut dough in half to make two balls.
Roll out one ball of dough and place it in pie pan.  Roll out second ball and save for the pie "lid".

For the filling:
12 Macintosh apples (peeled, cored and sliced) ... ONLY Macintosh will do.

in separate bowl MIX:
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
dash of salt
then mix together with apple slices

Assemble pie:
Put apple mixture into prepared pie shell.  Then chop up 2 tablespoons of butter and "sprinkle" on top of apples.  Place pie crust "lid" on pie. cut some tiny air vents in the crust with a knife.  Put aluminum foil around the edges (only) of pie crust to prevent burning.  Place in oven and bake for 1 hour.  You know it's surely done when you can see bits of the filling bubbling through the "air vents" of the pie crust top.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm!

Rebecca said...

yummy..thank you for sharing