Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Could you please hold that door for me Sir?

I’m not a jerk, at least I don’t think I am. I smile and say “hi” to strangers, I coo at babies, and I always pick out thoughtful presents. So I’m not sure how this happened exactly but somewhere between struggling to open doors and dodging dirty looks (tantrum, anyone?), I became quite the connoisseur of passive aggressive comments.

While my son weighs in at a whopping 26 pounds, he packs quite the punch. Who would dare spar with a woman that has a toddler in tow? With him at my side I am virtually invincible. “Wow, that’s very thoughtful” I say to the woman in line at the bathroom as she casually slips in to the only handicapped stall, leaving my stroller and me in the dust. “It’s hard to ride a bike in the dark? It’s also hard to walk in the dark apparently” I quip to the woman who has just battled for sidewalk space with my five year old niece and her bike.

I would like to hope that parenting has primarily changed me for the better. I am definitely more compassionate and aware of people’s daily struggles. You never know what challenges another person has or whether they are just having an “off” day. At least that’s how it goes in my head. What comes out of my mouth is “could you please (exaggerated eye roll) open the door for me? Uh, thanks (in a curt tone).”

Yes, some day my son will understand my comments and I will have to grow up and learn to behave like an adult. Until then....watch your back. You’re one stolen bathroom away from a very passive aggressive comment.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

haha i look at this way sometimes you just have to use those passive aggressive comments to get the point across. hugs